Friday, August 16, 2013

Circle, Montana

I was fairly certain that there had not been a blog post written about Circle, Montana. I was almost right, I did find one when I googled Circle, Montana. A blog about this guy that picks a random latitude and longitude and writes about their watershed, he has not actually been there. Sorry but that did not peak this girl's interest.


What I did find when I googled Circle, Montana was that in the 2010 Census there was a population of 615, down to 607 in 2011.

Circle, Montana began as a cattle ranch in 1883. Over years the ranch changed hands as was often the case, eventually sheep were added to the ranch. Out necessity a supply store was opened on the ranch to benefit Circle ranch and other local ranchers. Thus a town was born.


Today, Circle is mainly a pass-through town. A place to stop and get gas on your way to Theodore Roosevelt National Park or Glacier National Park. Which is exactly what we were doing, going to the bathroom, buying snacks and getting gas on our way from Theodore Roosevelt to Glacier. This state of pass-throughness was confirmed by the clerk in the gas station that we chatted with for a minute while buying our snacks. My husband asked her if they had many local customers, and she said "no" mainly people passing through.


Circle is not a come and stay destination. Which is too bad. So much of the small town charm has been lost, lost to the Interstate Highways where speed is a necessity. We must hurry to get to our next destination, no time for exploring or wandering.

I personally prefer the back roads, the small towns, this is where life happens, where Americans really live. The good, the bad and the ugly of it all. You never know what unexpected treasures you will find if you just slow down a little.

*Joining Kim Klassen at Friday Finds.

13 comments:

overthefencephotos said...

I love Western Montana. So much beautiful country and very friendly people. (I'm not snubbing E MT, I just haven't been there). Nice capture of small town America! Thanks!

Roxi H said...

Oh Sarah, I love your black and whites. How perfect for these shots. It looks all too familiar.

Lynn said...

A year ago we saw a wonderful (tho sad) documentary made by a French journalist on the small towns lost when the big freeway across the USA were built...this looks as if it could have been part of the documentary-quite amazing photos of a time passé...

Helen said...

It looks like time has stood still. A great set of b&w shots. I think you can find interest everywhere if you take the time to pause and look.

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

I love the back roads as well you do miss so much...... Great shots seems so right to be in black and white....

Dotti said...

I've never been to Montana but this is certainly a 'walk back in time'. Loved seeing it through your lens!

Kristina Rust Photography said...

Your black and white processing are perfect for these photos. Glad to see that you gave Circle Montana a little blog love and recognition.

cheryl Crotty said...

The black and whites really tell the story...I agree, back roads are the way to go...so much living back there...I love to look at the windows and doors and porches and laundry on the line and wonder about the lives lived inside those walls...very nicely done.

Carol said...

I think you may have just put Circle, Montana back on the map.

Unknown said...

My husband is a back roads kind of guy. The running joke is I always say, "You always show me the nicest places". Thank you for sharing your story.

Cathy H. said...

What a great find! Love the timeless look of the B&W. I love to take the back roads. Interstates can be so boring! If only I could convince my husband that getting to the destination is not always the object of traveling!!

Sylvia said...

Love your b&w photos, Sarah, great tones and sentiment !
Nice Sunday,
Sylvia

Lynne said...

So true . . . I like the back roads too. In our travels in Ireland it is our very favorite part. We have met so many "people treasures" by traveling through the hills and making several stops. We need to do more of that here . . . thanks for the mention, I am going to make that suggestion to my hubs!