Sunday, October 12, 2014

One Perfect Day

Most of our married life I have been the decision maker for the family. Nobody else wants the pressure of deciding on something and then it being the wrong decision. I have grown very weary of that role. So for most of our recent vacation to the Leelanau Peninsula, I let Glen make the decisions about where we were going to go for the day. Either that or we would mutually decide on something.

But there was one day where I knew exactly what I wanted us to do. I had been planning it since we were last up here in June. The plans were derived from things we had talked about doing in June but never got the chance to do. I knew we would enjoy doing them together.


The day needed to be nice, overcast or partly cloudy would be ideal. Not full on sun since a lot of the day involved photography outside, and I knew we wouldn't get going in time to catch the morning golden hour.

Wednesday presented the perfect conditions, starting out overcast and becoming partly sunny in the afternoon. The temperatures were lovely in the low 60's. Wednesday also preceded three days of forecasted rain, not very nice when you are on vacation in one of the most beautiful places in the United States and the Autumn colors are starting to emerge.


We began the morning exploring the historic farms on the southern side of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. We have explored the northern historic farms a fair amount because they are closer to the condo that we rent. We had Susan Tuttle's new book Art of Everyday Photography along as our field guide. Glen tends to believe things more if I read them to him out of a book versus me telling him what he should do. He has come so far in his photography from a year ago and I saw huge improvement this trip. He always had a good eye, he just needed to work on the technical stuff.


First stop was the Tweedle School...built in 1895 and served the little farming community until the schools consolidated and the building was converted to a residence.


This school is a bit too close to M-22 to get a nice full view shot, so instead we concentrated on the details.



But what really caught my eye as we wandered around the old schoolhouse was the barn next door. So of course I had to go explore...


I do love barns with all my photographing heart...


Two different views of a similar object... first mine...


Then Glen's...


This is my favorite shot of his from the whole day, not because he didn't have other good ones, but this one speaks to me. I love close up, detail shots. I love the angle and I love the mystery of this piece when taken out of context.

I went back to this barn on Monday by myself, Glen had to go back to work, and captured it in beautiful golden morning light.


After exploring another close-by historic farm and driving by one other one we decided to see where the road would take us and we landed here...


Esch Road Beach, the site of the ghost town of Aral, and where Otter Creek flows into Lake Michigan.


This was my favorite place of the whole day. It was a magical place; water, sand and the guy I love.


There were a few magical moments as well...


As I was standing about here a beautiful orange Monarch butterfly floated by, the orange set against the gray blue water was so striking. Something fluttered deep inside me as I watched that butterfly drift by, buoyed by the light breeze. I knew that this was a special day, a special moment and a very special place.

Then to make it even more magical I found a heart shaped stone, which shhh, I did put in my pocket and take home. It now sits on my writing desk, I see it right away every morning, reminding me of the One Perfect Day with the one I love.



20 comments:

amy of studio four corners said...

absolutely lovely...images, words, feelings and memories...

overthefencephotos said...

Beautiful place, beautiful photos. I love that you, um, borrowed the heart rock. My mom collects them. Her kitchen window is full! Thanks for sharing.

Nicki said...

What a dreamy day out. Glen did good!

Lorraine said...

I love this post and all the pictures! Hard to pick a favorite!

Lynne said...

Beautiful Sarah . . .
Your "team photos" and thoughts . . .
Left me fluttering . . . of moments in the past, in similar settings . . .

Cathy H. said...

So beautiful, Sarah! I see the love shining through your images! With life so busy, those perfect days are hard to come by and treasures to be stored in our hearts!

Barb said...

You did have a perfect day - so many good things to enjoy and photograph! I love the shots of Otter Creek flowing into the lake.

cheryl Crotty said...

Such a great post...sounds like a lovely spot...I especially like your beach photo's and the light on the barn...it's nice when the guys hold the same interest as we do...I know for Jim and I it makes vacations so much nicer when we share the same connection..
thanks for sharing.

Dotti said...

This does sound like the 'perfect' day. Just beautiful. I could use one of those, I'm a bit overdue, I think. Thanks for sharing yours.,

Ida said...

Wonderful post. What I like is that you got "detail" shots not just the barn itself but the (spirit) of the barn. How nice to have such a great day with the one you love and doing something you love and then sharing it.

Unknown said...

Sounds so perfect and I love the two perspectives. And that barn-what a beautiful old building.

Justine said...

what a perfect day and what stunning photographs

Suburban Girl said...

What a great day. And to have a spouse that enjoyed photographing as well. In my dreams!!

Ahayes1225 said...

I love the barn at the golden hour. Sound like you had a wonderful vacation...

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

Magical moments Sarah, love the beach shot it has a story to be told right there. Isn't it great to have a fellow photographer in the family ?

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah, this is a true love story kind of vacation with photography being the highlight!! You got me with that barn in the morning light, then the ghost town, and the heart shaped rock!! So beautiful!

Helen said...

Beautiful words and photos - I feel like you transported me there. I collect stones and pebbles too - some just sort of call out to you to pick them up!

Anonymous said...

One perfect blog post! This was beautifully written and illustrated. Glen does have a good eye, and your styles complement each other beautifully. To be able to share your love of photography with the most important person in your life, and to have such a beautiful, inspirational place to visit over and over...that feels like real perfection to me.

sweetbriardreams said...

I agree with all the comments above! Beautiful words and beautiful photography. The pair of you are amazing.

Donna Hopkins said...

Sarah, What a beautiful post! I feel as though we met for coffee and a chat and you shared the details of our vacation with me, face-to-face. My husband and I share a love of photography, too. I know the sensation of the "one perfect day" phenomenon. I am so glad you have the heart shaped rock to remind you of this day. Hold onto the day in your heart.