Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Lists


When I am feeling stuck I like to make lists. They bring a sense of calm and order to my life. There is something about writing my tasks down, getting them done, and crossing them off, that gets my life flowing again.

I have recently started a new weekday routine. I make two lists each morning. The first is called Domestic Tasks and the second is called Creative Tasks. On each list I write down things I would like to accomplish for the day. I usually start with creative tasks because I am my most creative in the morning, and I feel better about those nasty domestic tasks if I have been creative first.


I know there are apps on my phone for this kind of list making, but I prefer making my lists on separate small yellow legal pads. Writing in pencil, numbering each task and when it is completed, crossing the task off with a colorful Sharpie marker. Both lists sit at the end of my kitchen counter so I have to walk past them numerous times throughout the day.


Lately the Domestic Task list has been longer than the Creative Task list. At first I thought it was because I was letting the Domestic list rule, but then I realized I have actually been accomplishing many of the things that have long been on the Creative list. Now I am doing things that should have been part of my daily routine all along: writing, photographing, walking, art journaling, selecting photos to be printed. I am between photography e-courses at the moment, so I don't have to add daily assignments to the list, but I have finished all of the work in both of my recent on-line courses thanks to my Creative Task list, something that rarely ever happens.

They say it takes twenty-one days to form a habit. I wonder if that is longer when you take weekends off. Weekends are just for fun.

**Reminder - The next Scene & Story blog link-up will be this coming Sunday, April 2. Wondering what Scene & Story is? Visit the last link-up here.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

That's the creative person in you, the writer, that needs to actually put pen/pencil to paper for list making. I am exactly the same way - but instead of lists, I have journals for every.little.thing. Gotta love a creative mind!

Sandra said...

I agree with you about lists, Sarah. They make me feel organized and efficient, especially if I'm feeling overwhelmed by the sheer number of things that need doing! Lists make me take all the things I need to do one by one and therefore it feels less stressful!

Jeanne said...

Lists are so helpful.. don't know what I would do without them

Nicki said...

Lists are my lifeline, they also keep me focused and not overwhelmed- which in turn reduces the urge to strangle family that sit on their butt waiting for someone to ask them to do something around the house (as if they were just visiting and to do so would be a favor).

Lynne said...

If only I could stay on that 21 day flight plan.
I usually have good intentions.
Does that help, I wonder.

Electric | Journal said...

I prefer written lists, too... mine go into a composition book, with a cloth cover that I made (and change with the seasons). There's something so satisfying about drawing a line through a completed task, and going on to the next one.

Anonymous said...

You know I'm not a list-maker, but I admire so much that you are! I do try, sporadically, and they do help me get things accomplished - also sporadically. You always inspire me to try again, and so I shall!

Ida said...

I make lists sometimes, especially if I have a lot of things that I need to remember to do. My problem is though I often forget where I put the lists. Guess I need a specific spot like you do.

Cathy H. said...

I'm a list maker, too! I not only list things to do, but I like to sit outside an use my senses to write a list of what surrounds me! I also like to keep random lists. Yep, I'm a list maker!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good system for you, Sarah.
I too am a list maker. The paper and pen kind, quite simply because there is something quite satisfying in crossing off those "completed" tasks.
Especially the domestic ones! :-)
Have a great weekend!

Linda said...

Oh yes, I'm a list maker from way back. I love this idea of having the two separate lists on two different note pads, especially the creative one! I usually end up with a list for work, home, and blog, but all on the same page in columns. Nothing like having a hands on list, I think. I've used Wunderlist on my iPad, and find it terrific, but I still end up making 'real' ones daily!

Carola Bartz said...

I tend to make lists myself as well and could relate to what you're writing. I also like to handwrite them and then crossing off the things I have accomplished. Unfortunately many things remain on that list for way too long. I tend to neglect my domestic list (if I had one in the first place) because the creative tasks are so much more fun and fulfilling.

Carol said...

List. It's one of my favorite four letter words. Not sure if I'm a list person because then I don't need to stuff commit to memory or because of the feeling of accomplishment as I check each item off when I've completed it.