Monday, October 21, 2013

The Train Yard

I have to admit that every week when I set out for my Backroads Adventure there is a sense of excitement but there is also a small pit of dread in my stomach. I LOVE doing these adventures, but I am always worried that I won't find anything exciting, interesting or photo worthy. Especially when the week before ends with an exploration through an old Masonic Lodge. That is a tough act to follow.


This week was good, but there wasn't any BIG WOW until....the end...yet again. I think this is God's way of teaching me patience, holding back the prize until the last stop. Goodness knows I am not a very patient person.


I knew this place existed, but I had never been here before.

The Coopersville & Marne Railway is a train of antique passenger cars, which date from the early part of the last century. The passenger cars are pulled by a 1950's era diesel locomotive. The train runs from Coopersville to Marne and back to Coopersville. There are theme train rides for Halloween and Christmas that are a delight to kids of all ages.


The Coopersville and Marne Railway Company began operating on July 4, 1990 using a leased locomotive, a leased passenger car, and a borrowed caboose. The traffic that summer was enough to warrant obtaining the use of a second coach. In 1991 they leased a third coach, and in 1992 they leased one additional coach. They now have four coaches, with room for 300 passengers.

In another part of the train yard there are some projects in progress, like this steam locomotive.


And these passenger cars.



I am not sure if this is an old depot building or not, but it's unique shape intrigued me.


To me it seems to have a Southwest feel to it, like a mini  Alamo.


I had a bit of an epiphany standing in that train yard. I thought, I am a real photographer, this is something a real photographer would shoot. I think I thought that because, generally I shoot in quiet places that are without people. But here I stood in the middle of a train yard, in the middle of a town, where people could see me, and it felt great!

9 comments:

Lynne said...

Such clarity with your photos. I like your story line too, excitement, apprehension and then that clarity again and excitement of standing right in the middle of the rail and taking pictures. YES, you are a photographer and a very, very good one.

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

You are a great photographer I love steam trains and old yards, and a great bit of grunge too.

Ahayes1225 said...

Don't you just know when you have a great shot! That last one is wonderful. Great follow up!

Karen Lakis said...

I love old train stations - what a great find! You have a great knack for photographing the ordinary, though - so you really shouldn't worry about coming across great finds.

Roxi H said...

Gosh, I love these! What a find!

kelly said...

well i would totally agree! you are a real photographer. these are such great shots sarah! good for you for persevering!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous find! Your perseverance is paying off...because you are out there, doing the work of a creative. Yay!

xoxo
from a train lover

Cathy H. said...

Repeat after me...you are a great photographer! I can't wait to share your photos with my son and grandsons. They're all train crazy! Not only are the trains fascinating, but those trees are gorgeous!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Sarah, I am a first-time visitor (but not the last) who stopped in from a recommendation on Karen's Away for the Weekend blog. My husband, Pat (Grenville on our blog) is a huge train fan and usually most of our road trips involve a stop at a rail yard. We have been to several similar to the one you captured so wonderfully. The old cars sure can "tell" stories. And, I also liked your fall colors which we do not have yet on the VA eastern shore.