Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Scene & Story - Bonus


Ever year as I review the photos I have taken over the course of the year, I always come across a few that I love but never made their way into a blog post for whatever reason.

This would be one of those photos.

This was taken in July when Glen and I were in Toronto on vacation. We had spent the day following a bread crumb trail a.k.a. the Downtown Toronto Discovery Walk trail that led us to various parks and green spaces throughout the downtown area. We had just come full circle to our starting point, St. James Park, when I spotted this colorful lady sitting on one of the park benches. I knew I had to photograph her. I love street photography but am not brave about doing it. This sweet lady was too good to let get away. Thankfully in front of her was a grouping of lavender. I crouched down in front of the flowers pretending to photograph them and then would occasionally lift my camera to photograph her as well. She never gave me any notice, absorbed in her crossword puzzle and enjoying the sunshine.

When we got home and I loaded the photos, I loved what I had of her. I even started a short fiction piece based on her. There are a multitude of stories within this frame.

Scene & Story 2017

Many of you have asked and Lee (Sea Blue Lens) and I have discussed, for 2017 we will be hosting a link up party for Scene & Story. The link up will be the first Sunday of each month, except for January which will be January 8 (the second Sunday). The link up will remain active for one week.
The link up will be hosted here on my site. I have never done a link up before so be patient if things are a bit sticky the first month.

Criteria - All you have to do is post a favorite photo from the previous month along with a short story about it on your blog and then add your blog to the link up once it goes live. The story can be anything you want it to be: why the photo touched your heart, the process you took to take it, a funny story, a fiction story, etc. Please visit the other link up participants and spread some love.


15 comments:

Andy said...

Well done. I like the composure of your photo. I also like street photography. Shyness is a problem. I find conversation first helps. A lot of people are not shy about getting their photo taken. I am looking forward to your Scene &a Story.

Tracey Grumbach said...

I love street photography for this very reason. I am not brave about it either. The link up sounds wonderful and will be keeping my eyes out for it.

Karen Lakis said...

The lady on the bench is awesome - and you composed it so well! I've been trying a little more street photography lately - mostly because I'm in the city on weekdays, and if I want to do any photography, lunch time is all I have (terrible lighting and all...) I'm kind of excited about your link up - I think I'll enjoy giving it a try.

Cathy H. said...

This is a beautiful capture of this sweet lady. Love how you thought to use the lavender to hide behind. I would love to be on that bench beside her, smelling the lavender and reading. Excited about the link up. I'll be joining when I can.

Unknown said...

I recall as i tried to capture 2 elderly men on a bench in Chicago, 2 ladies laughing at me while I tried to do it oh-so nonchalantly!

Donna Hopkins said...

Love, love, love this photo and the story behind the picture! I'll look forward to joining in the link-up. Something to look forward to for 2017!

Anonymous said...

The "story" part of Scene & Story can be whatever you want it to be - a story you make up about the photo, or the story behind it...why you took it, what it means to you, why it's your favorite of the month.

Sarah, this photo is wonderful! You are braver than I, for sure, and much better at the stealth technique than I am. I always get caught! I love this lady's sense of style, too. Just looking at her in that pretty outfit makes me happy.

I'm excited and looking forward to our first link up in January! ~Lee

Roxi H said...

So glad you guys are doing this. I've missed 'link ups' since Kim quit Texture Tuesday. I can already this of a few.... Love this shot. You're about as brave as me. We must work on that. Maybe if we wore sunglasses that would help.

Nancy said...

I love this photograph. I bet she could tell stores from her life that would keep us entertained for hours. So glad you and Lee are going to do the link up; I think it will be lots of fun....

Carol said...

Your link up will be lots of fun - for participants and readers. I'm looking forward to it.

Unknown said...

She is sweet and good for you for not letting her get away. I love street photography too and I admire people who do it. I'm SO not brave. I love link ups and am happy to participate.

cheryl Crotty said...

Love your little lady. She is so colorful and seems quite happy just being out. I also love street photography and hope to do more of it this year. It's nice that you went with you instinct for this one.

Turn The Page said...

What a great shot! Oh I just bet she has quite a few tales to tell herself! And I am looking forward to your new link up! HAPPY NEW YEAR 2017 TO YOU AND YOURS! Aloha!

Sandra said...

I do love this lady in turquoise sitting on the bench. She tells a lovely story just by looking at her. I like your idea of a Scene & Story link up!

Michelle B said...

What a great shot! I can imagine you hiding behind the lavender and sneaking a shot. :) It is funny how some images get passed over only to win our hearts later down the line, that is the reason why I have a hard time deleting images. A Link Up sound like fun. I haven't participated in a link up in a long time.